Monday 8 July 2013

WhatsApp : No I am happy without you!

It was first day of college. I was much excited about the new media lectures which cover internet & technology. After all, who would not want to learn the same thing in education & professional life at same time? The lecture was just as  good as I had expected. At the end of the lecture our professor talked about our assignments. Addressing the class, he asked if there was anyone without a smartphone. Without hesitating I raised my hand. I turned around to see if there were any other hands in the air. I saw just one girl, who I couldn’t see clearly who didn’t have a smartphone. I quickly put down my hand. Rest of the world was in their own life discussing the assignments. But at that moment I felt like tribal living in socialize world.
image courtesy-www.techmagnifier.com
(edited)

However, when I reasoned with myself, my mind raced to many of my friends who plan to meet up on but when they meet they spend more than half of the time phones. Mostly on WhatsApp informing their respective GF n BF about their locations, what’s cooking at home, with whom they are, etc.
when I see this happening all around me I realize that people focus more on how PRESENT they are virtually than enjoying their real time together. 

I don’t have WhatsApp but I regularly call my friends relatives when I miss them or want to talk to them. It may be so cool to have WhatsApp in your cell phone but does anyone really need to be on their Facebook account for more than 12 hrs a day?  My whole argument is that do we really need application like WhatsApp? Am I not a social guy if I don’t have this application in my phone? Am just disconnected with others? 

2 comments:

  1. I think, Whatsapp has really changed the way we communicate over cellphones. Quite useful when you don't have sufficient balance to make a call. :P

    Do visit me blog, too. :)
    http://intellectuallyrational.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think we really need it... but i must say that it is one of the best app becaz it helps us to connect with ppl easily in free of cost ... in short i can say that its faster easier n cheaper ;) :)

    ReplyDelete